Bring on the 5 day weekend!

>> Thursday, August 28, 2008

One of the small perks of my job is that we have a flexible schedule and we are allowed to work 4 10s instead of having to work 5 days a week. With the cost of gas and the fact that I drive 80 miles roundtrip to work and back, this extra day off saves me money and a lot of drive time. I used to have Mondays off, which I really liked. Recently however, I was asked by the guy who has Fridays off to switch with him.

Why did he want/need to switch? His wife recently switched to 10s as well and also had Fridays off. They tried it for a few weeks I guess and according to him "it just wasn't working out". I found this very amusing. His Friday off used to be "his" time to do whatever he wanted. It wasn't packed with activities and errands and whatever his wife wanted to do. She apparently tried to take over his day.. and thus he wanted to switch.

I find it amusing the dynamics of that relationship. I understand the need for downtime and relaxing days where you just do what you want and take a break from worrying about all the little things that need to be done. There are ALWAYS things that could be done. Errands and little projects around the house. Maybe you keep saying that you are going to check out this new store, or restaurant, or go visit some point of interest.

I guess in a way I am a homebody. I am one of those people who like a day where I don't go anywhere or do anything on anyones schedule. I shouldn't just say I like those days. I NEED those days periodically. I am not one that goes stir crazy just hanging out. A day just crashed on the couch watching movies, playing some computer games or some Rock Band is a perfect way to spend a day off in my opinion. I don't feel like I wasted the day.. I feel like I made optimal use of a day off. Maybe it has something to do with how laid back and low-key I am. I don't know, its just the way I am.

Some people say they need "time to themselves". I wonder though, do they really need to be without their spouse/BF/GF/fiance? Or do they need their downtime the way that is most relaxing to them and it just isn't compatible with their SOs way of relaxing and spending that day off? I know there are all sort of theories about relationships and if they work better when you have more similar interests .. or if you are opposites that can compliment each other.

I don't know what the right answer is, but lately I have been really paying attention to those around me and what they do to relax and de-stress. How they interact with their SOs and what that dynamic is. For my coworker, having "his day" is how he got the time to relax how he wants and that is important. If his spouse enjoyed a lazy day off the same as he does, so they could share that downtime together, would that make them a stronger couple? I think it would.

Obviously every couple cannot have that. People are different. People relax in different ways. They wind down differently. I guess what I am saying is that that downtime is VERY important. It gives you a chance to have a breather without having to stress about everything going on in day to day life. However that has to happen, make it a priority. Maybe it can't be a whole day for you, but at least take a few hours and get to that state of relaxation. If you can enjoy that time with your SO too, all the better.

Anyway.. what I wanted to say was that I have a 5-day weekend. Its like a mini vacation! Fridays off now and then Monday is the holiday and Tuesday is Gabe's first day of middle school so they have a wierd half day schedule that the parents are supposed to attend with them and of course it starts at 12:30 which makes it awkward to go to work before or after so I took Tuesday off. So to all of you with a measly 3-day weekend. GET OWNED!

0 comments:

About This Blog

NetworkedBlogs

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP