Random Movie Reviews

>> Monday, August 25, 2008

Lisa and I have watched several movies together lately that I have been meaning to talk about and never got around to so here goes:

The Dark Knight (IMAX Version): Visually stunning on the IMAX. Worth the higher ticket price without a doubt. The movie itself was fantastic. Dark and gritty like Batman Begins which I also loved. Ledger did an incredible job as Joker. Thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

Definitely, Maybe: A romantic comedy / drama. Starred Ryan Reynolds who I really enjoy and is basically a dad going through a divorce trying to tell the story of how he met his wife and the two other key women in his past to his 11 year old daughter. I didn't know what to expect, but Lisa and I both loved it. It had some hilarious dialog with the 11 year old. Like when her dad is talking about how he was kind of juggling the three relationships and the little girl asks him "Dad.. what is the male word for 'slut'?" That's just money right there. Great movie and worth a watch.

Meet the Spartans: Yeah.. its pretty much what you would expect out of one of the parody type movies. It's just like Scary Movie, Hot Shots etc. Extremely lame in parts. Moderately lame in others. Some parts so over the top it was mildy amusing. Towards the end when Leonidas get in a car GTA style and turns on the car radio and sings along with the Barbie Girl song.. well that just made me laugh. Yes, I find stuff like that funny as hell for some reason. Not a movie I would reccomend to anyone however unless you are in the mood for an insanely stupid comedy. I get that way every now and then.

Doomsday: This one.. well.. I like these kinds of movies. Lisa does as well. Apocolypse, end of the world type movies. Be it a killer virus or some natural disaster. So we watched this one about a deadly virus that causes them to have to basically seal off the northern half of great britain to stop the spread. We are talking a wall across the island etc. Years later, when the virus gets out somehow and the scientists need a clue how to beat it, they realize there are people still alive up there so there must be a cure or a clue in those immune to it. So they send people in to investigate. What they find is two opposing factions. The punk band Green Day on one side and King Arthur and his knights on the other. I can't even begin to describe how odd I found it that even after like a decade with no sources of food or anything up there. They were not only still alive, but had the time, desire and products to keep that look going. I would expect ragged.. but these punks were finely groomed. Hair dyed green and orange and purple. Massive hair spikes, shaved parts of their heads etc. I mean they had no food, and were eating people .. but that didn't stop them from looking their punky best? Was a little much for me to be honest. The opposing faction had taken over a castle further north and had reverted to a medevil society.. just odd all around. Overall.. decent movie, but that a a few other small things put me off.

Sunshine: Another end of days type movie. The sun is dying and a team is sent to the sun with a nuclear weapon the size of Manhattan to shoot into the sun to 'jumpstart' it. Decent story, pretty good acting. Not a top 10 movie by any means, but it was an entertaining flick. To those on the ship though.. NEVER GO TO A DISTRESS BEACON IN SPACE. Nuff said.


Two quick bits on TV shows. Lisa brought the first half of Weeds season 3 for me when she came to visit and I got sucked right back into that show. Very different and interesting if you are looking for a break from the usual drivel on TV. It's a Showtime series though, so you would have to have the channel to see it. I borrowed Entourage from my brother to see what that show was about, and just couldn't get into it. It seemed to be a show focused around a pretty boy actor with little talent, his asshole manager and 3 of his high school friends who collectively have an IQ of about 46. Just couldn't get into that show. I also borrowed a series called Numbers which I haven't gotten to watch yet but have been told is excellent.

3 comments:

Lisa August 25, 2008 at 10:00 AM  

Great reviews baby.

They had to be punk rockers so you knew they were evil. The colored hair, mohawks, etc. was for your benefit. I am at a loss for the medevil guys, whatever floats your boat I guess.

Distress beacons are the work of satan imo. The chances of someone saving you are nil and you will just be responsible for taking another ship down in the long run.

Jennifer August 25, 2008 at 7:14 PM  

Weeds is one of my favs. Hate Entrouge... Numbers is okay. But you want good... check out Dexter and Rescue Me. Dexter is about a serial killer who is really in the police business. Rescue Me is about firefighter in NYC post 911 with dark humor and Dennis Leary. Love it!

hangel August 25, 2008 at 10:18 PM  

Jim loves Numbers. One of the few shows he still Tivo's and watches when he can! But...Jim also likes Heroes and Prison Break...so take it with a grain of salt!

About This Blog

NetworkedBlogs

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP