Blame it on the rain.. yeahhhh yeahhhh

>> Wednesday, August 13, 2008



Oh yes I did post that video. For those of you who grew up in the 80s .. you probably remember these guys and the big lip syncing scandal. But this video is relevant in two ways. First, it rained, it poured, it hailed, it rained even harder, it rained a little less and then it poured again. All day Saturday while we were camping in Canada. The second reason its relevant is that no matter what station they seemed to tune the radio to in Canada, it was invariably some "mix" station and songs like this would come on the radio mixed in with country bad pop/rap music and easy listening crap.

Friday night at the campground was great. It was damp from the previous days rain, but not wet. We had no problem setting up and then after some beer shopping we settled in around the campfire to hangout, chat and drink large amounts of beer. We laughed and drank, relived the glory days of DAOC, Lineage 2, WoW and other games we have played together along the way. Here is what one of the picnic tables looked like after a few hours of drinking.



Friday night ran late and so most people slept in.. some of us til the afternoon. It was raining off and on as I dozed in and out Saturday morning, but then it let loose. It rained.. hard. It didn't stop. It didn't blow over. It just kept on raining. And raining. And hailing. And raining. And blowing. And raining. It would slow down long enough to run to get something from your car or run to the bathroom, but then it was right back to hard rain. Cold and windy. We were all huddled around the one picnic table that had a tarp over it for some protection from the elements.

Some of the campsites were well set up for draining.. and some were not. Despite the fact that the tent was patched and checked before we left, we still got water into the tent. It has a mesh top to it to let in cool air and then the rain cover goes over that. It works really well. Right up until the wind starts blowing hard enough to push the raid up the side of your tent. Then it starts dripping down on to the blankets and air mattress.. and then pooling on the floor.

Needless to say, the tent was not sleepable by Saturday night. The guy who organized the whole shindig for us, offered us a guest room at his house for Saturday night, but we needed to be up early and get packed up and on the road Sunday morning, so we decided to suck it up and sleep in the back of my car Sat. night. The two back sets of seats all fold down to make one big flat area. How bad could it be right? I mean we unzipped the sleeping bags we had luckily brough just in case. One as padding, one as a blanket. No problem right? Sure.... if you are a midget with no bone structure. Lisa's legs were touching the back of the car.. and she is 13 inches shorter than me.

At first I tried sleeping on my back with my legs folded indian style. Yeah, that was not going to work. So I tried to get comfortable on my side as thats how I normally sleep. I soon learned exactly where the outer most points of my pelvis bone were. Apparently I was trying to blance all of my wieght on this tiny point of bone too. Felt GREAT! Or something. After much complaining and shifting and I'm sure knocking Lisa all around the car trying to get comfortable, I found a spot that was at least not causing physical pain as soon as I tried it. I slept for a short time, but as most people do, the move during the night. Well once I moved, the rest of the night was spent in a half daze trying once again to find that elusive position.

We had an alarm set for Sunday morning so we could shower and pack up and get out by 9am. I didn't need the alarm. About an hour before it went off I finally just couldn't stand it anymore and had to get out of the car. I started packing up the soaking wet camping gear. Dumping gallons of water out of the tent. Putting all the wet bedding and tent etc. in trash bags to transport home. By the time I had everything packed up I was cold and wet and covered in mud.

We showered, said our goodbyes and hit the road. Only to spend most of the day driving through the rain. I was looking around today trying to find a rainfall total for that day, but all I could find for the Toronto area was general articles about how they have basically had enough raind already this year to clear the total normal rainfall for an entire year. One of the guys had left a big glass that he had been drinking beer out of empty on the table friday night. By saturday night this glass had at least 6 inches of water in it. Just craziness.

The camping trip was still fun and Lisa and I had a good time still, but let me just say DAMN CANADA and their rain. Damn Canada as well for the fact that their beer costs double what a sixer would go for in the states. Literally double.

0 comments:

About This Blog

NetworkedBlogs

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP