And so it begins...

>> Friday, May 29, 2009

I knew the day would come, as my boys get older, that they would push things further and further. Until this morning, I knew when my boys said they were sick, that they were sick. Like about to puke up a lung sick. Sick to the point where it would not be a good idea for them to be in school. They are at an age where they are self diagnosing these kinds of conditions. I have to take their word for it.

Up to this point, it hasn't been an issue. This morning however, I saw the first signs of a budding Ferris Bueler. See yesterday B went to Six Flags Great America down near Chicago on a school trip. They left school early in the morning, made the 2.5 hour drive down and then spent all day in the park. Then they got back on the bus for the drive back and arrived at the school late in the evening. He was exhausted I could tell. That combination of travel and having spent all day yelling and being excited as he rode roller coasters and having a blast being a teenager with his friends.

This morning he was up at 5am like usual. Yes, its HIS choice to set an alarm to get up that early. As I was getting ready I hear a knock on the door and B comes in and tells me that he doesn't 'feel good' in his best whiny, feel-sorry-for-me voice. I looked at him and he wouldn't look me straight in the eye and I knew it was bullshit.

I got to explain that what he was feeling is normal and frankly, it's life. If he makes a choice for a long busy day on a Thursday, then he has to deal with getting up for school the next morning. I explained that how he was feeling was how most people feel going to work EVERY day and that he had to suck it up. He set his alarm for a later time and went back to bed.

Now begins the waiting game. When am I going to get the call from the attendance secretary at the school wondering why my child has been absent NINE TIMES. Unfortunately for him, I have seen Ferris Bueler. Many times.

0 comments:

About This Blog

NetworkedBlogs

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP