Big Head

>> Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Last night was my son's spring music concert for his middle school. He has been doing the school choir thing since about 1st grade. Although they didn't have much choice about being int he music program back then, now its purely voluntary. He enjoys it and is good at it, so we love to go see his performances every year. They do a winter program around xmas time and then the spring show towards the end of the school year which is what we just went to see last night.

First up for the evening was the 5th grade group. Who should walk up onto stage but Sasquatch herself. Yep, the girl from the soccer team. I kept wondering if I tossed a soccer ball on stage right then if her instict would have taken over and she would have done one of her wild, arm waving charges at the ball and kicked it way into the audience. I bet she would have.. no matter how many kids she had to take out to get it done.

As the 5th graders were getting into position, we were talking about how the boys all seem to still look like little boys, but that some of the girls when they get all dressed up for those events look more like young women and less like 5th grade girls. We watched their performance which took about 20 minutes or so and then as they were exiting, we saw this little 5th grade girl who had this .. well for a lack of a better term.. slutty dress on. Makeup, bright red lipstick and shoes with a small heels on them even. Hair was all done up. I noticed her at the same time K did and she said to me "See, there is one that does NOT look like a little girl anymore" to which I replied "Sure she does.. providing that the little girl you are referring too is a philipino hooker" Yes, bad people.. I know.

6th graders are up next and here comes my son. The first few songs are standard stuff that they were all singing together. I remembered again the real reason I think my son is in choir still. Sure, he loves to sing, but the female to male ratio in 6th grade choir is about 8 to 1. Throw in the fact that the choir teacher is hot too... yeah.

The end of thier set is a 12 min long medley of disney songs. As they are going through them, my son and another little girl come out for a duet on one of the songs. He is up there with her, confident, poised and sings loudly and clearly into the mic. Most of the kids stay way to far back and you can't even really hear them, but he got right up there and belted it out. He did a wonderful job and together they sounded great. I know you are going to say I'm biased, but it was the best out of any of the solos / duets done.

After the show, we are in the lobby talking to him and congratulating him and two high schoolers come up to him. A junior and a senior.. kids 5-6 years older than him. They congratulate him on a great performance and start telling him to stick with choir, that he has a great voice and stage presence. They were talking about how much fun the choir is in high school. My son is just smiling, excited to have these older kids talking to him about how good his perfomance was. Now while I didn't hear it personally due to my position, I have it on good authority that the junior, as he was walking a way, muttered under his breath something about the fact that being in high school choir will get you laid a lot. I am just glad it was muttered quietly and B didn't catch on to that one.

As we are trying to make out way to the door, other older kids were coming up to congratulate him and other parents were stopping him to say what a great job he did up there. Now I'm a parent, so of course I am happy that he is getting all the praise, but we decided we better get him out of there before we got to the point where were going to be concerned with his head not being able to fit through the door. It was a good night though and he really did do great.

On a personal victory note, both boys have agreed to drop the shaggy dog haircut look in exchange for some kind of color highlights on spiked hair. They agreed to clean back and sides with shorter hair on top that they can spike as long as they can do something unique and fun with the colors / highlights. DEAL! /victorydance

2 comments:

K May 21, 2008 at 10:29 AM  

I do believe I called your little hooker girl a "hoochie mamma." And yes, I swear the H.S. kid made a comment about getting laid. Also, I had to let some air out of Brandon's head in order to get him through the front door to the house. It didn't hurt too much and there shouldn't be a scar.

Parenting Good Times!

hangel May 21, 2008 at 2:19 PM  

Anyone have video? I wanna see! Come on guys...sucks living far away...

About This Blog

NetworkedBlogs

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP