It's been such a long time.....

>> Wednesday, March 26, 2008

I think I should be going....

Aww come on. No Boston fans here? C you should at least know the song since you butchered it last time we played rock band! :P Title just seemed fitting as its been a bit since my last post. I blame work and a 4 day holiday weekend. I felt kinda guilty at first, but then remembered I'm not getting paid for this and got over it real quick.

I know I rambled on in a previous post about music triggering thoughts and memories. Flipping through my XM satellite radio stations this morning I dropped by the 80s channel and what was on but 'Joy and Pain' by Rob Base. Some of you may know this song, but it came out right before we took a trip with our youth group to San Diego. I had bought the single for the song.. yes, on a cassette tape, and we must have driven the adults crazy listening to it over and over on the way there. And while we were there. And the whole way back too. But now that song instantly triggers memories of that trip every time I hear it... even almost 2 decades later. Wow..kinda makes me feel old when I can type in that its been almost 2 DECADES since a high school trip. Good thing I am not just now starting to lose my hair or I would probably have to buy a little gray 2 seater sports car to compensate.. maybe like a Mazda or something. :P

It's kind of funny how some people are not into music really. Some prefer the quiet or only like quiet background music. For me, its like a soundtrack to my life and I love it. About the only time I don't have music on is when I'm on the phone, or asleep. It's on in the morning when I get up, in the car, at work all day, at the gym, while I'm online at night playing. Sometimes its in the background and I'm not really paying attention to it, but most of the time I'm singing along even if its just in my head as to not scare my coworkers.

As I was talking on the phone with a very special person in my life, we got on the topic of music as we often do as we both like a lot of the same stuff. I had heard a song that had lyrics that made me immediately think of her on XM Squizz and had mentioned it briefly the previous night. I didn't tell her the artist or song name however as I was meaning to send her the song later. Then I got a text from her that she had heard this song and it had made her think of me. Low and behold it was the same song. Of all the songs out there right now, I thought it was pretty cool that we both heard the song at seperate times and it triggered thoughts of the other person even though we had never heard it together. <3

Another far more annoying song that triggers memories for me is that song 'Who Let the Dogs Out'. That song reached its tragic peak of popularity right at the time we were headed back to AZ for a visit with the family. Due to work schedules we had decided to take a red eye flight out on a Friday night. We had a brief layover on this flight.. in Vegas. Well we soon found out that the Friday night redeye is the drunks heading to Vegas for the weekend flight. So here we are with two young kids who are tired and just want to sleep and we have a plane full of drunk idiots headed to a party weekend in Vegas. That would have been bad enough. Now toss in that some drunk guy starts singing "Who let the dogs out... hooo hooo hooo" at the top of his lungs while stumbling up and down the isle searching for some bimbo to join the mile high club with and it just got so much worse. Now all the other drunk idiots.. men and women alike, join him for an impromptu karaoke session all acapella style. I had never seen such an awe inspiring sight. The only thing that could be better than this would be if someone happened to have the macarena song and a boom box so I watch a pack of stumbling window lickers do a stupid dance while confined to their tiny amount of space aboard the plane.

I don't know if you have seen the movie "Snakes on a Plane" or not. It extremely cheesy, but then it was supposed to be and it has some great one liners in it. I think the guy that came up with the idea was not just reaching for a script idea. I think he was in a similar experience to the one I mentioned there and sat in his seat trying to ignore them and a thought popped into his head... "You know what .. I wish poisonous snakes would drop from the overhead bins and kill these morons" Now granted its not a well thought out plan as after they were dead you would still be on a plane full of snakes and no where to go, but sometimes desperation makes you think crazy thoughts. It's much like any time I hear a Spice Girls or Hanson song being played from my coworkers desk... I start thinking .. hoping.. that just maybe a small meteor will come out of the sky and crush my skull, releaving the intense pain in my head from the tragedy that is any song done by them. Its the same feeling I get whenever I find out that Snaggletooth or Drew Borememore (Barrymore in case you missed it) has put out a new movie.

Maybe thats what Rob Base was talking about. Some music brings you Joy.. some brings you Pain. I suppose though if we didnt have bad music, bad movies, bad times in our lives, we wouldn't appreciate the good stuff as much. To all my friends and family out there that make life good .. much love.

5 comments:

flyingace March 26, 2008 at 3:38 PM  

You are just starting to lose your hair?? I thought that you started about 15 years ago...maybe I am wrong.

Unknown March 26, 2008 at 3:57 PM  

Geez man. As I started reading I was giggling about the grey mazda thinking you were only missing the "I can't quite decide if he's gay or not" and enjoying myself immensely. Then...the SG and Hanson remarks...Be prepared for the Chipmunk Xmas album and some Rick Springfield. Well, maybe not cuz your skull got crushed and not mine. Aight then.

Heretic March 27, 2008 at 8:58 AM  

"Good thing I am not just now starting to lose my hair or I would probably have to buy a little gray 2 seater sports car to compensate.. maybe like a Mazda or something. :P"

Wow, you can die in a fire! :P

It's a four seater and 4 door man.

Blade March 27, 2008 at 11:10 AM  

4 seater.. providing the two in the back are amputee midgets. :P

Raincor March 28, 2008 at 5:12 AM  

oh noes!!!!!! i dont get this blog thing, i am an epic blog failure

go raid hogger! :-p

About This Blog

NetworkedBlogs

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP