The holiday season approaches.

>> Tuesday, November 25, 2008

With Thanksgiving only a few days away and xmas right around the corner, I am reminded of one main thing about the holidays. I don't like people. No.. not you. Well unless I don't like you.. in which case, yes.. you. In general though, people turn into complete idiots when the 'happy holidays' roll around.

You know the people I am talking about. Even if you gloss over it and pretend they are not there.. they are. You know.. the jackasses that will cut you off in an icy parking lot to be 3 spots closer to the door at the mall. The people who will take an item out of your cart when you are not looking because they want that for their niece but you too the last one. The people who are rude to the poor checkout person who has been dealing with assholes all day just because an item didn't ring up correctly and it takes an extra 30 seconds to fix it.

I have always found it ironic how a season that is supposed to be happy and joyous often brings out the worst in people. A season that is supposed to remind everyone to be thankful for what they have. A season that is supposed be about giving. Yet a good portion of the population runs into the holiday season and treats its like a bully that is trying to steal their lunch money. It becomes an angry, stressful time. They go at the holiday season like something they have to beat, to win at. They have to beat that bully. They will not be given a swirly by the force that is xmas this year!

Why? Why look at the holidays this way? Its supposed to be about enjoying time with family and friends. Its supposed to be a time to reflect on the past year and your ups and downs. Its a time to look forward to the upcoming new year and what that might bring. Stop stressing about finding the perfect gift. Stop getting worked up over all the things you feel you have to get done for things to go perfectly this year. You know what? If you don't get a card out to your college roommate's sister's great aunt that you met that one time, the world will go on. You are not a bad person.

I would like to point out though that this "don't stress" rule does not apply when it comes to making holiday baked goods to send to me. As I am baking impaired, I rely on the generousity of others for holiday goodness. :P

I am a big fan of shopping over the internet. Sure it appeals to my geek side anyway, but the biggest reason is I don't have to deal with people. I go online, find the item I want and order it. The small shipping costs are totally worth not having to deal with the tools I talked about above. 3 minutes ordering online or hours driving to the mall, parking, fighting crowds, hoping they still have what you want.. no thanks. If you really think about it.. its cheaper to shop online anyway. Between gas driving to and from the store and the alchohol you must purchase to drink away the stress of dealing with idiots at the stores, are you really saving anything shopping locally? I think not.

For the record, it is NOT cool to start playing xmas music full time before Thanksgiving is over. You have a month afterwards, there is no reason for it before turkey day is done. Just don't. My turkey may be thawing, but I am willing to bet it will still hurt like a mofo if I hit you in the face with it. Just leave the xmas music off til afterwards so I don't have to hurt you.

I am lucky enough to be going to visit my family again for almost 2 weeks around the holidays. Its a wonderful thing to be able to spend that kind of time with them over xmas and new years. THAT is what the holidays are about.

4 comments:

K November 25, 2008 at 12:09 PM  

I am still loving the turkey!

hangel November 25, 2008 at 9:49 PM  

Well, I absolutely can't wait to have you hear for Christmas! However, there will be no fowl--frozen or thawed anywhere within your reach!

The Dalaimama November 26, 2008 at 9:06 AM  

Someone really needs to get on the bandwagon and create some good turkey day musak to play over the mall airwaves.

We had Christmas stuff up before Halloween was done :O

Jenae C. November 27, 2008 at 9:49 AM  

I really hope you don't hit me in the face with the Turkey that will be our dinner tonight because I like to play Christmas music......

About This Blog

NetworkedBlogs

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP