Rage Against the Green Bean

>> Friday, February 8, 2008




For my first post, I just had to share the link to this shirt. Here. For those of you that know me, you are, I'm sure, well aware of my intense hatred for the Green Bean. The funny thing is, my Mother didn't until this December. The boys and I had the pleasure of spending a week and a half in Arizona for Christmas and New Years this year and somehow the topic came up. She was shocked at my extreme loathing of that vile substance. How did it start? Why do I not just simply dislike green beans? Let me explain.

As a child, we all have foods that don't like, and others that we can't stand. For me, green beans was top of my list of foods I couldn't handle. Now, the others in my family liked green beans. So my mother would make them on a regular basis. Being a school teacher, she loved those comprimise type solutions to handle getting kids to do what she wanted without a big fuss. So what started as a good idea when I was very young was this: 1 green bean for each year you are old. At 5 .. not a big deal. 7 .. still tolerable to choke them down with the assistance of half a gallon of milk. By the time I was 10 green beans had started to cause me major issues. I know now that most of it was psychological on my part, but I got to the point where the thought of having to choke down 10 whole green beans could and would make me gag. Silly? Sure. But I was 10 and not as up on the whole psych thing as I am now.

We ate green beans often enough that I would almost dread birthdays and being another year older because it meant that for the entire next year I would have to choke down an additional bean. Oh I know what you are saying, that they are not that big. But like I mentioned above, it was psychological at that point. Another green bean .. even a small one might as well have been a 12 pounder for what I had built it up to be.

To this day, I dislike the smell of green beans. I still can't eat them. So most people that are aware of this make a point of passing them back and forth in front of me or bringing my attention to the fact that they are eating them. For all those very special individuals, I am currently holding one finger up in salute to your comedy genius. Guess which one it is? :P

Anyway, if you have ever heard the music of the band Rage Against the Machine, you would know they are very angry about the system, the government, the man, and of course The Machine. Their songs are heavy, driven, and often punctuated by the singers shouting and forceful lyrics. I like their music and the energy they put into it. Thus when someone sent me the link to that kids T-shit playing off their name and incorporating my biggest food hatred of all time, I just had to share it with everyone. Now if I could just get one in my size I would wear it regularily and continue my campaign to rid the world of The Green Bean!

3 comments:

hangel February 8, 2008 at 9:53 AM  

OMG! Welcome to the blog world, bro! Great to have you here...and I love the post! And I LOVE GREEN BEANS! Ha ha ha. I wouldn't be one of the people deserving of the "You're #1" sign you are so fond of giving people, am I?

Blade February 8, 2008 at 10:11 AM  

You know I have got nothing but love for you sis.. but even you deserve a one fingered salute on occasion. Its part of your charm. Give my nephew a big hug for me.

K February 8, 2008 at 2:47 PM  

Green Beans are my favorite!

Nice post and welcome to the blog-o-sphere.

About This Blog

NetworkedBlogs

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP